Practice Spanish at home!
1. Label EVERYTHING at home! With permission, it is a good idea to label things around the house in Spanish. This will help to pick up every day Spanish vocabulary. Things such as doors, windows, and tables are good things to label.
2. Use Spanish WHENEVER possible. Instead of saying you ate two pieces of pizza, replace two with dos. This will help to practice with simple vocabulary you already know. Other words to replace are gracias (thank you), si (yes), and los colores (the colors)!
3. WATCH cartoons and LISTEN to songs with Spanish words. Make sure you get permission first, but shows like Dora the Explorer introduce everyday vocabulary during each episode.
4. Do you have a smart phone or IPad? Technology offers the best learning tools that can be accessed any and everywhere! Apple products offer free Spanish applications that can be downloaded to your media. Most smart phones also offer free Spanish applications that are age specific. This means Spanish can be learned at any age!
5. Above and beyond: There are several Spanish programs available that are aimed for adults or children. I highly recommend; "Tell Me More" or "Fluenz" for adults. For children, I have heard good things about Rosetta Stone. There are also products aimed for very young children such as "Dora the Explorer" computer programs.