SWAN VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT
District School Improvement Team/Curriculum Coordinating Council
Monday, April 11, 2011
Present: Kathryn Louks, Shana Bielby, Ann Laundra, Kelly Conger, Carrie Leddy, Diane Fong, JoAnn Schneider, Heidi Erlenbeck, Colleen Schaeding, Karla Parker, Craig Blower, Dave Essmann, Shelly DuRussel, Mat McRae, and Dave Moore
1. Welcome and Introductions – Dave Moore
2. Update on Curriculum Initiatives for 2010-11 – Dave Moore subbed for Rich Dyer
· 9-12 Art has been completed
· K-12 Science materials – Teachers are currently reviewing materials. High school will be having a presentation from vendors on April 13. Elementary will be hearing presentations from vendors on April 19. MS materials were received late and they will be reviewing materials in a couple of weeks.
· The MEAP results were reviewed with the group.
· K-12 Technology Committees – K-5 is completed. 6-8 and 9-12 are being worked on. The high school is working on revising the district curriculum, and articulating with Delta College, meeting the new State Guidelines.
· 6-12 Music, K-12 Spanish, 9-12 Industrial Arts are waiting until 2011-12 (New instructors in Music and Spanish)
· K-8 Language Arts and Human Sexuality Committees will begin work in 2011-12
3. Update on MEAP Results – Dave Moore subbed for Rich Dyer
4. Update on Study Committees – Rich Dyer, Dave Essmann, and Dave Moore
The Swan Valley School District’s Strategic Plan for the 2010 – 2011 school year listed Aim I, Goal I; Strategy K as:
“Investigate potential for providing additional learning opportunities for high performing students in our elementary schools.”
The action plan called for the formation of a small study committee for the purpose of collecting information and data regarding the potential for providing additional learning opportunities for high performing students in our K-5 elementary schools.
The committee was formed in November of 2010 and included the following members:
David Essmann Principal Robert B. Havens Elementary
Shelly DuCharme Principal Shields Elementary
Lori Vantol Teacher Robert B. Havens Elementary
Sara Spangler Teacher Robert B. Havens Elementary
Carrie Leddy Teacher Shields Elementary
Gina Wilson Teacher Shields Elementary
David Moore Superintendent Swan Valley Schools
Rich Dyer Director of Curriculum and Instruction Swan Valley Schools
Below are issues and findings that the committee discussed regarding this District School Improvement Goal:
The following issues were discussed in committee:
· Criteria for identification of students
· Estimated number of students
· Curriculum areas
· On-line learning
· Instructional materials
· Financial impact
· Outside of school day possibilities
The committee felt the following were practical offerings for our students:
1. Destination ImagiNation, Inc.
2. Odyssey of the Mind
LEGO® Education School Solutions
It is the opinion of this committee, that each building pursue “Odyssey of the Mind” and LEGO Education School Solutions, as programs to meet the needs of our advanced students. Attached to the minutes is Dave’s full report.
5. Update on Budget for 2011-12
6. Strategic Plan Ideas for 2011-12
Future Meeting Dates: This was the last meeting of the year