SWAN VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT
District School Improvement Team/Curriculum Coordinating Council
Monday, December 19, 2011
Present: Kathryn Louks, Karla Parker, Kelly Conger, Carrie Leddy, Shelly DuCharme, Diane Fong, Craig Blower, Heidi Erlenbeck, JoAnn Schneider, Shelly DuRussel, Mat McRae, and Dave Moore
1. Welcome and Introductions – Dave Moore
Rich Dyer was not able to attend due to a medical issue in his family.
2. Update on Curriculum Initiatives for 2011-12 – Dave Moore for Rich Dyer
3. New MEAP Cut Scores – Dave Moore for Rich Dyer
Dave Moore reviewed the document developed by Rich Dyer that was presented to the Swan Valley Board of Education at the November 17 board meeting regarding the “Study of New Cut Scores Applied to Prior MEAP/MME Assessments.”
4. Update on possible new HS courses for 2012-13
5. Update on a Shields Elementary initiative that relates to the School Improvement Plan
Shelly DuCharme reviewed the base camps and progress monitoring this is being done with her students.
6. Update on a Havens Elementary initiative that relates to the School Improvement Plan
Dave Essmann reviewed the program that they have developed to help struggling readers. They have also purchased the software program “Read Naturally”.
7. Update on a Swan Valley Middle School initiative that relates to the School Improvement Plan
Craig Blower reviewed the use of data in decision making with students. He showed how the ScanTron machine is helping staff members analyze each question that they ask on a test. Staff is also being asked to have students complete quarterly assessments. He also presented a handout on the MiPHY data that will be presented to parents on March 8 at the Swan Valley Community Network Forum.
8. Update on a Swan Valley High School initiative that relates to the School Improvement Plan
Mat McRae stated that his staff has been focusing on instruction and instructional delivery. They are working on integrating technology into the classroom. Teachers in the high school have been learning and are now implementing the concept of “flipping instruction” into their instructional delivery. A third set of “clickers” have been purchased for the high school staff to use. These “clickers” allow all teachers to get immediate feedback on a concept that is being taught.
10. Future Meeting Dates / Times
February 13, 2012
April 16, 2012