SWAN VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT
District School Improvement Team/Curriculum Coordinating Council
Monday, April 16, 2012
Marvin L. Johnson Administration Center
Present: Kathryn Louks, Dave Essmann, Karla Parker, Lori Ferrier, Kelly Conger, Shelly DuCharme, Colleen Schaeding, Diane Fong, Craig Blower, Heidi Erlenbeck, JoAnn Schneider, Tom Bell, Shelly DuRussel, and Rich Dyer, Dave Moore
1. Welcome and Introductions – Dave Moore
2. Update on Curriculum Initiatives for 2011-12 – Rich Dyer
- K-12 World Languages: The work has been completed will go before the board in May. Thanks to Dave Essmann who worked with teachers in K-5 and Shelly DuRussel who worked with grades 6-12 teachers.
- K-5 English/Language Arts (ELA): The work is just beginning and will continue into 2012-13. Dave Essmann is serving as the chair for grades 3-5 and Shelly DuCharme is serving as chair for grades K-2.
- LA 6-12 will be worked on in 2012-13 and hopefully completed.
3. Update on MEAP Results – Rich Dyer
- Rich reviewed the attached handout on MEAP scores for the district. Included in the discussion was how the district is going to improve upon the current scores.
4. Update on Study Committees – Dave Moore
- Special Education – The committee is completing its two year study in special education. Subgroups are transitions, K-12 assessment, and MiBLSi. Their final meeting will be Tuesday, April 17.
- Bond issue – A preliminary meeting to discuss a potential bond issue occurred. Some preliminary work has occurred, but board members are very concerned about asking for additional funds during these tough economic times.
- Update on the budget for 2012-13 – To this date, the budget is not complete. The budget is to be approved by the Board by June 30, 2012. Budget is based on enrollment, district contribution to the retirement rate as determined by the state, increases in health insurance, and potential deficit from this year.
5. Discussion on the Strategic Plan Ideas for 2012-13
- Members reviewed the 2011-12 Strategic Plan and were asked to submit ideas to Dave Moore for 2012-13.
- Principals shared some ideas they have for the 2012-13 Strategic Plan: HS – Increase test scores by at least 10%, look into how they can help at-risk students and high achieving students.
This was the last meeting of the year.